Collection: PART THREE

Library Research - 11-15th FEB

I decided the focusing area/concept before I head to the library. There is an image of purity, flower petals with a small area of strong colour. That is the reason why I wanted to do light and dark is to challenge myself to have a colour palette with a huge contrast. Moreover, I was using too many colours or bright colours in the past. So the limitation of this project is using WHITE as the palette, I am very excited to see how wide I can extend the boarder of WHITE. But after reading the WHITE books, art pieces in white can be black and white or in subtle pastel shades of colour (tiny tint of colour), I decided to loosen the limit to peony colour, that is mostly White to burgundy. 

I spent a long time in the library reading details of the artist's words of VOODOO to learn more about this culture as I have been loving the idea of voodoo dolls. The stunning images shown in his adventure are the key inspiration to my project. They includes the people, properties, dolls, shrines, which could easily image which direction of mood this project would be about. The concept was still very vage at that moment, because I was frustrated by the small range of knowledge about voodoo. Then I came up with the idea of creating my own VOODOO culture based on my childhood - DOLLS symbolises CHILDHOOD. These dolls should not be ordinary porcelain human figured dolls. But constructed using something related to my childhood eg barbie dolls, marbles. A sourcing day to Portobello market was then planned to get second hand toys.

There are times when I dont know which kind of books I should be researching on in the past. So I learnt to be well prepared before heading to the library by using the UAL library book search engine, and descide which kind of topic I wanted to search. This time I focused on VOODOO, DOLLS, WHITE and DARK COMICS. Dark comics has some unique humours that I can learn from in presentation ideas and sketchbook layouts. 

I am so far satisfied by the library research part and able to complete Task 1 and 2.

Material Sourcing Day - 17th FEB

It was interesting that I limit myself  for what I have to buy, but toto spend more time in the market to search for lost items that I could recall my childhood. This made my day even more exciting to explore every corner of the market. I used to source on materials through department stores, fabric shops, charity shops, etc; They usually come with a standard price, but here, I can argue to have a lower price if it is reasonable. The sellers are all really nice if you are nice to them, most of the items i got are in a price that im satisfied with, for example, a 10 pound twin victorian dolls with descent clothing, 1 pound for ken and barbie... I have to learn on estimating the value of the item through the usage, quality, and if there are broken parts, i would ask for a lower price, Communication is extremely important. Also, I have learnt some fabric manipulation (dye, materials) skills from a seller selling natural indigo hand dye products. They do unique fabrics, and I would like to ask them for supply me some customised fabrics in the future. 

Overall, I was satisfied by what I have got and will deconstruct and reconstruct them from my childhood experience.

Dolls making - 20th FEB

A long period of hesitation happened as I kept on asking myself what is the point of remaking the toys, what is the reason or story behind? Is there any research to back up my recreation?... A long period of time in this reading week was wasted, thinking back, I can actually start reconstruct the toys straight away after buying them. Because even I dont have a clear story behind, there are still some reason why I put arms and legs to the giraff with little small capsules on the body. I started to recall my memory of having a chinese meditation (cupping therapy) on my arms and legs, using glass flask to pump out bad blood under my skin after poking little small holes, and because it involves fire, dripping wax is included. It was such a hard time. Now I am confident on doing more of these to get ready starting my sketchbook by doing collages from my own interpretations on the object.

Refer back to the research, voodoosi uses nails on dolls. So i could predict handling dangerous materials this project like nails and glass. Safety gloves and masks are needed to prevent getting cut or poisoned.

To fulfill my aim and objectives

1. use more variations of material that are not usually seen on people's garment.
  2. produce a collection of reconstructed toys for presentation through out the project
  3. look more inspiration related to animism, magic, voodoo from exhibitions and research ouside fashion
  4.  attend doll making eg porcelain, ceramics workshops, to gain experience
  5. clearly define what are the purpose of dolls, why are they related to childhood and the reflection of the owner.
  6. Always think about two sides of the object, light and dark

1. recall their memory of their childhood
  2. to tell that everyone has their own voodoo, always believe in their fantasy

1. We are allowed to choose between light or dark
  2. human skin are fake

1. toys
  2. symbols
  3. magical spells
  4. voodoo

1. white and pink palette

1. my childhood
  2. my opinion on one story about a person, eg a bad teacher
  3. the meaning of peony
  4. voodoo culture
  5. witchcraft

White Cube Exhibition - 16th FEB

Have been searching TIME OUT LONDON seeking for art exhibition that relates my project.  Eddie Peake: Concrete Pitch in White Cube best relates to my "Childhood' idea, and have been wanting to see how he have recreated his childhood playground. When I entered the exhibition hall, I could sense a mysterious adult hood atmosphere of looping DJ music and dim pink light, Looks like the artist is trying to express how he see his childhood now, and the change of his playground as he is getting older. 

I went to this exhibition not only to complete the exhibition task, but the relation of content of the exhibition and my project motivates me to visit. I hope the combination of his childhood elements can inspire my voodoo making.

Comment Section - 26th Feb

I have tried to describe the concept of my project. But I do not think that I express well on the main idea about thinking people having a fake skin and a hidden dark self, maybe because it is a bit personal, or perhaps the experiences I had was too vage. I am still not having a clear mind of how to express the deeper meaning. But my groupmates understands most of my concept and thinking it is cool and interesting. Vian told me about a jewellery designer she saw in magazine doing accessories made with parts of barbie dolls and then collage with silver wire, I appreciated it but that does not look like what I wanted. Also another girl told me about watching a document of people in jail look normal, but they actually did serious crimes, at the same time, they still didn't realise they are wrong.  This can be applied to the voodoo dolls.

I have given an artist that is so meant to be Vian's next research target : Damien Hirst. As they are doing similar concept of life and death, having living objects preserved, to show the evil side of human. Finding that her project have been lacking of context at the very first few pages, we relooked at her research movie, Perfume, and suggested to research on the props and colour palette used in the movie, as each of them has a meaning to the theme, she can apply that into her project as well.

Green Man - March 5

It has been taking a very long process for concept consideration as I have to think about if it is interesting and different with other people. I have been showing Gail today what I have been looking on of harrods, focusing on the pet department. And Gail gave me an advice on watching the documentary of Christain the Lion. A touching reunion story of two man raising a lion bought from Harrods. I then decided my project to be "Pet Department Please Come Back", which means me wanting the Pet department to come back. It is very hard to visualise this concept, but I tried by collaging historical harrods images of exotic pets, cap-screen of the documentary, and the current interior design that I took before hand. To move forward, I was doing mark makings from interesting shapes from the collages for print development.  

Green Man - week two

Realising that there are no time for me to consider the layout of pages as they are stressing me out, my sketchbook has been more messy as it used to be, but I love it more that way. As it shows my personality and the wide range of exploration of prints and colours. I do not want to limit myself to use green for this project because Green Man is too green and I hated it. Flipping through my sketchbook, I can see a flow of development which I do it better than my past sketchbooks. Design elements are clearly shown, pages communicates well. I have been focusing on one sample/ design to development. It saves more time and not producing things that are not useful. DRAWINGS are the key to good sketchbooks.

I came out with an idea of collaging the image of lion and my fave interiors for print designs as the shapes in collages are not enough to support. I then took squared pictures of detailed prints then laid it out with the lion image overlay on top to clearly see which print are my fave. I then narrowed it down by focusing parts of it. 

Green Man - Concept research

I went to visit the harrods once the brief was given, planning to observe on the Green Men. There were not many of them that day (only two) and was standing outside harrods opening doors and taxi doors. Both of them have huge bodies, strong looking, and a large tummy, Probably that is the signature of them, being a friendly man. In my opinion, the importance of their job is to give Harrods a good image. I took a photo with him and some beautiful interiors then left without any concept inspired for the project.

Then I went on looking to the history, services, 10 facts about Harrods, and have been loving the fact that Harrods used to have a pet department selling exotic animals like lions and snakes. I absolutely love to have the pet department to come back and that is my concept. 

Green Man - War imperial Museum

According to the project brief, I went to the war imperial museum wishing to look for related items. I couldn't find any thing related as most of it was talking about world war in the olden days, What fascinates me are the protecting gear and textures of the lost items which can be inspiring for uniform designs and textiles for Green Man's uniform - To remake green man's uniform... I am happy that I took alot of detailed photos which might benefit my further researches. 

Green Man - March 6-8

I was a bit stuck at the moment as in super unproductive after placing the lion drawings and the Egyptian design of the elevator wishing to develop into print. It looks so boring by using realistic lion features, so I experiment to draw out different abstract lion heads with different mediums and materials like heat press foil wishing to achieve something. Those designs can be made into buttons for green man's uniform. 

Looking back to the green man images, I found something in common, ALL GREENMAN HAS BIG TUMMY. And that can be the focus part of the garment I want to make, maybe a protection gear in front of their tummy (double protection). This can be then developed by researching British war gear or protection outfits back in the world war. 

Green Man - Week 2 (part 2)

I have improved alot in making samples as they are carefully considered in material and relation to my drawings, most importantly to consider if my sample is a piece of textiles. People have been commenting about my samples are like a fine art piece, a wearable objects. I had been reflecting alot. 

Have been watching some craft tutorial videos that aids my lack of knowledge in making textiles with different material, it helps alot with my new inventions. People have been asking me how I did it in the crit, and I am not afraid to share how i did it as I am confident to my image transfer liquid clay.