GREEN MAN

GREEN MAN FACTS 

SERVICES

Open department store doors

Open taxi doors

Hold shopping bags

Great VIPS with extra care and attention

Welcoming cutomers

ONLY EMPLOY 7 AT A TIME

HAPPEN TO BE GREEN IN 1909 (FASHION CATALOGUE)

Omnia Omnibus Ubique - "All things for all people everywhere" ( For what they want, they will have it)

Source: 10 Facts about Harrods in Youtube

EXOTIC ANIMAL vs HARRODS BEAR x GREEN MAN

green-man-london-bear-27cm_000000000003928625.jpg

Harrods teddy bear are the signature to harrods. I would say it is the most popular good you can buy (except the cookies from food hall). I am imagining how signature it is if the pet department reopens again. Will the exotic animals took the shine from the bear? 

DANCING GREEN MAN

A performance outside Harrods the attract people walking by, to let the world know that the SALE is happening. I might want to do something that is attractive enough to let people know the opening of pet department. Planning on redesigning the uniform eg, dancing suit, protective clothing.

"WE COUNT ON YOU TO MAINTAIN THAT SERVICE AND MAKE IT THE FINEST IN THE WORLD"

"Our time in Trafalgar Square has come to an end. We shall see you at Kings Cross Station from 6pm. "

https://twitter.com/Harrods/status/344083033420361728/photo/1

BMZtsiSCcAAcB0E.jpg

BODY ARMOUR

Franco-British body armour 1916-1917. Vest and neck piece composed of metal square pieces assembled by staples. It fits every single body shape as it can be adjusted by the departed pieces. I can design my own metal pieces with my print to make a modern version. Must be light weight and strong strength, might use polyester liquid clay. 

armour.jpg

3068488-752x1024.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

A sample I did according to the jointed pieces using Fimo liquid clay and metal chains.

Christian the Lion documentary

The reunion story of a man and a lion bought from harrods in the 1960s

DNyGbR8W4AAkAme.jpg

https://twitter.com/rockwalklondon/status/926763448783945728

The in Lowndes Street, Belgravia, London in 1966. Crocodiles on loan from Pet Kingdom

Lion Guard of the bank HSBC ... Green Man Guard of the Harrods

a photo to reference the textures of lion skin and teeth.

130845-004-730219E1.jpg.2

IMG_0253.jpg

harrods has amazing interior designs, this is one of my favourite, the tiles on the food hall ceiling. I would like to combine the visual elements of the tiles with the squared armour. The golden bird on top can be converted to heat press foil technique for textiles. The tiles are beautifully coloured with antique colours, yet bright and colourful at the same time.

Portugal Tiles

Consists of 4 colours. The way they painted the tiles are not mixing too much on the colours but let it stay on its own with layers. I could extract 4 colours from my colour palette to draw my tiles. Instead of a combined image with lots of tiles, I would like every single tile to tell a story. This is an inspiration to my collage of a photo of lion and hand drawn prints. 

c7a42de9362aff20bf68891e24dacee5.jpg.1

saw this when I was walking in old street. These are the oval shapes that I was looking and these have inspired me to do layers of materials sewed  in between to achieve a flip edges effect.

this has been a guide for me to make a teddy bear by providing me the instructed patterns.

cakewalk.jpg

Dancing in Britain in the 1910s, when Harrods started to employ Green Man. Pleated dress edges, large upper sleeves and tight lower sleeves for women. Man are long blaxer with a flower of handkerchief in their pocket, Semifit trousers.  I wish to do a dancing garment for green man to promote the opening.

941ed21a9ac4e0a3770aa57f69307455.jpg

image from pinterest

Dance dress Lucile (British, 1863–1935) Date:1914–29Culture:BritishMedium:silk, metal thread, glass, horsehair, cottonDimensions:Length at CF: 46 in. (116.8 cm) Width at Bottom: 102 1/2 in. (260.4 cm)Credit Line:Gift of Irene Castle (Mrs. George Enzinger), 1947

22253265059_7451113414_b.jpg

Harrods has a long standing association with exotic animals. 

Service: Welcoming Rare Animals.

The famous pet department was shut down for nearly 90 years, It is interesting to know that harrods used to sell exotic animals to actors, politicians and celebrities. This is the point I want to start my idea with - for wanting the pet department to come back. From the image, I can see the chance of the past and present of green man's uniform. The buttons used to be spread wider from the shoulders to waist, more protective looking uniform. Green Man are the one who welcome the 'guest' and ‘product' of Harrods. Really love the fond type of the word 'Harrods' painted on the truck.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10564375/Harrods-pet-department-to-shut-after-nearly-100-years.html

IMG_9632.jpg

stalking real life green man

He has a role of opening taxi doors for Harrods customers, guiding them through the entrance. I saw him asking baggers to leave as they always stay near the customers asking for money.

Green Man is the guardian of Harrods

Richard the green man dance all the way around London to spread the word about the Harrods Sale launch.

f5a34c4c6425827bbe553c66904e163b.jpg

What if the Harrods' pet department come back again?

Exotic animals like snakes and tigers will be brought into Harrods

He needs a dancable armour to protect harrod's customers...

Protective objects: FACE MASK

This type of face mask was worn by British tank crews during the First World War. It was made of leather and metal chain and was designed to protect the wearer's face and eyes from ‘splash’–hot metal fragments ricocheting inside a tank created by the impact of bullets on a tank’s exterior.

This can be protective to dangerous animals like lion.

large_000000.jpg

body armour in WWI

IMG_9557.jpg

British Sectarian Armour in Imperial War Museum

Absolutely loving the pressed gold patterns on top of the armour. It tells a story of that time. I can make good use of the heat press foil on top of my tiles.

Anthony Bourke and John Rendall with Christian the Lion

Chinese lion dance for opening ceremony

This is a chinese style dance of an opening ceremony.

Since Harrods is a British company, I would not like to put in too much Chinese elements. Absolutely loving the movement and lively dance of a person holding a lion head. I can imagine a Green Man wearing a garment with lots of movable textiles dancing in front of Harrods trying to promote the opening of Pet Kingdom.

229ac8948bf40ba60c7e0139d124b9e0.jpg.1

A fabric swatch with painted Lion on top.

IMG_0256.jpg.1

a weaving seen in harrods. super complex textures of white ribbons and fabrics. I love the pop of colour from the thick fabric weave between those white ones. I would like to experiment on dye fabrics to achieve similar results using the colours from the interior designs of harrods (tiles)

To invest a new technique on transferring image to a piece of plastic/ clay to do my tiles with the designed print printed on top.

63927cb0d1fa48aab7841b80489428f1.jpg

Dance dress Lucile (British, 1863–1935) Date: 1914–29 Culture: British Medium: silk, metal thread, glass, horsehair, cotton.

75495f0c1196eb2599005a319c3ca670.jpg

Dancing girl in the 1910, if consists of many laces and crumbled fabrics 
(pleats)